Postdoctoral Fellow in Education Research/Black Studies
Northwestern University African American Studies Department is seeking exceptional candidates for a post-doctoral fellow with broad interests at the intersections of Education research and Black studies. The fellow will be based in Evanston, Illinois* and will work under the supervision of Professor kihana miraya ross on a Spencer Foundation-funded project examining the educational implications of Evanston’s unprecedented reparations initiative. The post-doctoral fellow will be fully involved in all aspects of the research including project management, data collection and analysis, and conference and manuscript preparation.
Applicants from all fields of humanities and social sciences are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in candidates whose research and teaching engage the intersections of Black studies and education and who have expertise with archival methods, oral histories, ethnography, and related methodologies in the social sciences.
The term of the position is one year beginning September 1, 2022 and ending August 31, 2023.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Ph.D. in fields including education, Black studies, anthropology, sociology, history, or other related fields
- Expertise with archival methods, oral histories, ethnography, and related methodologies
- Project management skills
Applications should include:
- Cover letter/research statement, describing your interest in and qualifications for this position, as well as your research achievements and agenda
- Curriculum vitae (including publications list)
- 1 published paper, or equivalent writing samples that you are most proud of and which best demonstrate your expertise and fit for the position
- The names and contact information of three letter writers
- A link to a professional webpage and Google Scholar page (if applicable)
Applications should be submitted directly to Dr. kihana miraya ross at firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject header "ATTN: POSTDOCTORAL APPLICATION FOR SPENCER EDUCATIONAL REPARATIONS PROJECT".
Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2021, and continue until the position is filled.
Candidates are encouraged to get in touch with Professor ross at email@example.com with questions.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, underrepresented racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
*Applicants desiring to conduct the postdoc virtually may be considered although periodic travel to Evanston would still be required. Applicants should specify this in their cover letters.Back to top